The Status of Attractions & Tourism in Richland County
Updated 6/16/20. Many Attractions, recreation, arts & entertainment, dining, and shopping locations are OPEN FOR BUSINESS in Richland County. The locations below updated our office on their status. If you don’t see what you are looking for, check the business website/facebook page or give us a call at 800-642-8282 and we’ll try to help. Things do change quickly, but we are attempting to keep our list current. Please check with attractions before making plans, and be sure to follow all CDC guidelines and government instructions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. All sites found on www.DestinationMansfield.com.
Biblewalk – Open – Tues.-Sat. 10-4. Sunday by group reservation only. See tours offered including the NEW Kingdom of God tour.
Kingwood Center Gardens – now open for its 2020 season. Admission will be at the Linden Road Gate only. The Trimble and Park Ave gates are closed to the public. Parking will be along Linden Road and at the former business lots on the corner of Park Ave W and Linden Road. Admission continues to be $5.00 per person and free for children 12 and under. Kingwood members also receive free unlimited admission. Kingwood Center Gardens is open daily 10 AM – 7 PM; the Garden Shop will be open 10 AM – 5 PM. New in 2020 is Free First Mondays. On the first Monday of every month, everyone is admitted free of charge. Kingwood participates in the Museums For All program which provides $1 admissions to those with an Ohio Direction Card and photo ID.
In compliance with the recommended guidelines to provide a safe environment for your visit:
- Garden capacity will be limited to prevent overcrowding.
- Display Greenhouse and Peacock Playhouse will remain closed until historical places are permitted to reopen.
- Kingwood Hall and courtyard complex open June 17.
- We are currently unable to have restrooms open since they are located inside historic buildings. Portable restrooms are available for your convenience.
- Hand sanitizer stations have been added.
- Staff interacting with the public will wear face coverings for your protection. We hope you will wear face coverings for our protection.
- Social distancing of 6 feet is requested between your party and other guests.
- The Garden Shop will opened on May 12, 10am – 5pm. Please enter at the outside sales area on Linden Road since the Display Greenhouse is closed due to its narrow walkways.
- Shopping from 10 – 11am is reserved for the at-risk population (e.g. elderly)
- The Online Garden Shop is currently open and will remain active with the convenience of curbside pick-up
During your visit, you will likely see the progress of the Garden Gateway project from a distance. As you may already be aware, we have experienced delays due to weather and the pandemic. Please respect the restricted areas to allow the contractors and our team to continue working hard to complete the project.
For additional information please visit the website kingwoodcenter.org or call 419-522-0211.
The Gill House – Open – Daytime tours begin June 20. Tours are by appointment at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., limited to 4 people in each time slot. Use Gill HOuse Facebook page and private message for appoinments.
Gorman Nature Center – All park district trail systems (Gorman Nature Center, B&O Bike Trail, etc.) and grounds are still open to the public, dawn-to-dusk, throughout the year. The Gorman Nature Center Visitor Center will begin small group outdoor programming on June 13 and you must register in advance for activities. The building plans to open July 6. All programs, events and group usage of the building is canceled until then. Restrooms are closed at GNC. Check website for updates.
Malabar Farm State Park – Park campgrounds, trails, and the overnight maple cabin are the only facilities open. Visitor Center, Big House, restrooms, and Gift shop remain closed.
Mansfield Art Center – Open – hours will be Tues.-Sun. 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Masks are required. The opening does not include the new expansion area, but the original space.
Mansfield Fire Museum – Normal Hours resume July 1 to Mid-October. Before July 1 by appointment only, please call. Bingo is open.
Mansfield Memorial Museum – Hours: Sat. 10-4 and Sun. 12-4. Masks required.
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course – Open – the Vintage Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio event was the first event to allow spectators (June 26-28). Check their website and social media for policy for admittance and status for future races as they become available.
Oak Hill Cottage – Tours open. Reservations accepted on the website.
Ohio Bird Sanctuary – All Outdoor spaces and aviary are open. Lobby and restrooms are still closed.
New Visitor Policies: Visitor Center will remain closed due it fits the description of common space where social distancing can not be enforced.
- Only 15 family units permitted at a time in outdoor bird display area. If the area reaches maximum capacity you will be asked to wait until individuals exit the area. Please enjoy the trails while you wait.
- One-way entry and exit of Bird Display area: Enter through north gate. Exit through either the east or south gate.
- Only 10 individuals will be allowed in aviary at a time. Handles to aviary will be sprayed with cleaner every two hours. Hand sanitizer available at each exit.
- One-way entry and exit of Songbird Aviary: Enter through north door. Exit through south door.
- Please let the desk personnel know if you have an injured or orphaned bird. They will page one of our bird care specialist to meet you at your vehicle or request you transport to Bird Care Barn.
- Education Center restrooms are open for hand washing.An admission fee to enter the bird display area: $1/ child (under 2 years free) and $3/adult (16 years and over) $1 for military and individuals residing in assisted living centers.
Ohio Genealogical Society – Open.
Ohio State Reformatory – Open. Hours: 7 days a week 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Richland Carrousel Park – Open – masks required (excludes 2 years and younger). Hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays moving forward. The park will be closed on Mondays for deep cleaning. The park’s new health guidelines require face coverings in the gift shop, in the Carrousel line, and on the Carrousel.
Shady Lane Alpaca Farm – Open – Schedule a visit at 419-560-0780. Visitors can hand feed the alpacas. Farm store is open to visitors.
Gorman Nature Center – Open – All park district trail systems (Gorman Nature Center, B&O Bike Trail, etc.) are still open to the public, dawn-to-dusk, throughout the year. The Gorman Nature Center Visitor Center and restrooms plan remain closed at this time. All programs, events and group usage of the building is canceled, as well, until further notice. Outdoor access restrooms are also closed. Outdoor programs are starting to resume, but you must register. See the website.
Richland B & O Bike Trail – Open – the bike trail was never closed, but guests are still encouraged to practice social distancing while on the trail. Please note, restrooms along the bike trail are closed. Free bicycle rentals are available at Y-Not Cycling and Fitness for those that are out of school or work. A great way to destress, get some exercise and get outside. If you would like a “drive up” rental, please follow this link to download the rental form from the appropriate location and fill out. When you arrive to either store, please call and we will bring the bicycle out to you.
Clear Fork Valley Scenic Trail – Open – This 8-mile hike traverses 570 acres of nature preserves, incorporating old-growth forest, rolling terrains, and prairie flowers and grasses. This path connects with the B&O Bike Trail in Butler at one end and Malabar Farm and Mohican State Parks at the other. The 8 miles includes two spurs, including Valley View Spur, which with an elevation of 1,370 feet, is one of the highest points in Richland County. Skipping the two spurs will make the path about 6 miles.
Charles Mill Lake Park & Marina – Open – The park is open for boating, hiking, fishing, and boat swimming. The campgrounds opened May 21 with swim beaches open May 22. To learn what amenities will be available, please check their page of frequently asked questions.
Deer Ridge Golf Club – Open
Lex Lanes – Open
Pleasant Hill Lake Park – Open – The park is open for hiking, horseback riding, boating, fishing. Campgrounds opened May 21 and new cabins June 19.
River Run Campground & Canoe Liveries – Open – Please visit their website for a full list of COVID-19 restrictions.
Roselawn Miniature Golf – Open
Shelby/Mansfield KOA Resort – Open
Tree Frog Canopy Tours – Open – reservations required.
Comfort Inn Splash Harbor – Open – The hotel and water park is open to guests (limited capacity).
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Mansfield Art Center – Open June 23, Tues.-Sun. 11-4. Masks required.
Renaissance Performing Arts Association –Open- See website for events.
Dining rooms are officially allowed to open! Check up on your favorite restaurant to see who’s open. All Richland County Restaurants.
If you are looking for a status or carryout options, see our Takeout blog.
Events are popping up on our calendar. Visit our calendar of events to see what’s happening!
CLOSED – WAITING FOR UPDATES.
Little Buckeye Children’s Museum – Closed until further notice.
Der Dutchman Miniature Golf – Closed – The restaurant and bakery is open.
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
The Brickyard – The Final Friday Concert Series has been postponed until future notice
Mansfield Playhouse – Closed – opening September.
Richland Academy of the Arts – Closed
As more attractions and entertainment options are allowed to open, we will continue to update this list. To learn more about what Richland County businesses are doing to protect your health and safety during your visit, check out our Clean is the New Green blog.