Biking & Hiking Trails
Find the adventure that’s just right for you. The Richland B&O Trail is a paved 18.4 mile-route connecting Mansfield, Lexington, Bellville, and Butler (See Downtowns page 13). At the northern end of the trail, you can find the 5.7-mile Mansfield City Bike Loop. Hike from Malabar Farm State Park to the Mohican State Memorial Forest along the primitive hills of the Clear Fork Valley Scenic Trail.
The Richland B&O Trail
The Richland B&O Trail is a paved 18.4 mile bike trail built on the railroad bed of the former Baltimore & Ohio Railway opened in 1995. Connecting Mansfield, Lexington, Bellville and Butler, the trail traverses some of the most scenic parts of North Central Ohio.
There are multiple entry points in each community. The trail is open year-round during daylight hours for bicycling, in-line skating, walking, jogging, and also cross-country skiing in the winter. Motorized vehicles and horseback riding are prohibited.
Groups rides for all experience levels leave from Y-Not Cycling & Fitness in Lexington, Ohio on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Weekly bicycle rides require a safe operating bicycle, helmet and rear flashing light (Daytime visible). Night rides require a front and rear light as well.
Looking to run the B&O? Parkrun is a weekly free 5k timed event for runners of all levels. Parkrun takes place every Saturday at 9:00 am (October through April) and 8:00 am (May through September) and leaves from North Lake Park, 270 Rae Ave, Mansfield, OH 44903.
Parking and bike trail access are available in each of the communities listed below. It is handicapped accessible and bike rentals are available on the trail. Y-Not Cycling & Fitness offers rentals and a limited number of bikes are available to check out through the Butler and Lexington Branches of the Mansfield-Richland County Public Library with a valid MRCPL library card. For more information on the trail, call the Richland County Park District at 419-884-3764 or visit @richlandcountyparkdistrict on Facebook.
Rules & Regulations
- Heed all posted signs, rules and regulations
- Trail use is permitted (year-round) from dawn to dusk
- Motorized vehicles, buggies and horses are prohibited
- Electronic personal assistance mobility devices are permitted
- Dogs are welcome, but must be leashed (short leash preferable)
- Curb your pet and please remove pet waste
- Please yield to all maintenance vehicles and volunteer work crews
- Please do not litter on the trail
- Please do not remove animals, plants or other natural items from the trail
- Respect private property and stay on the trail
- Cyclists should yield to all other users
- Cycling at high rates of speed is inappropriate for the trail and is prohibited
- Be respectful of all users on the trail
Important Information & Safety Tips
- Report maintenance needs to: Richland County Park District – 419-884-3764
- If you find yourself in an emergency call 911
- Bike rentals and repairs available at Y-Not Cycling (Lexington): 419-884-6135
- For more information, visit the Mansfield-Richland County Public Library website or call 419-521-3110
- Stop, look and listen for all motor vehicle traffic that crosses the trail
- Always keep to the right except to pass
- Pass on the left (with caution) and alert users with “On Your Left!”
- Move off of the trail surface when stopped
- Cyclists should always wear a helmet
- Always be aware of your surroundings
- Always carry a cell phone
- Protect your valuables and secure your vehicle in all parking lots